Saturday, November 22, 2014

DIY Customizable Cover



Hi!

I am so happy that I'm able to write a second post this month! In my first post, 'about my blog', I said that I would try to post something at least once a month, but I love blogging and I have more time than I thought, so I've decided that I'm going to post something at least once every two weeks!

Anyways, in this post I'm going to show you how to make a customizable cover for your notebook, agenda, etc. What I love about this DIY is that you can change the look of your notebook or agenda whenever you want and make it look exactly like you want it to! You can change it along with the seasons or just when you're bored of your old cover ;).


What you will need:


- a (old) notebook, agenda, etc. (mine is 14cm x 14cm, which is about 5.5 in x 5.5 in)
- a thin transparant plastic folder (two open sides, two closed sides), bigger than your notebook
- a hot glue gun
- scissors or a paper cutter
- a ruler
- a pen
- washi tape (optional)

Let's get started!

1. First, wrap your plastic folder around your notebook, to see where you have to cut off the excess. (Make sure that you wrap your plastic folder around your notebook while it's closed, because otherwise your cover will be to small!) With a pen, mark the spot where you're going to cut. Then, with a ruler, draw the lines that you are going to cut along. Now you can cut off the excess plastic with scissors or a paper cutter. I used a paper cutter, but because it's such a big thing, I thought it would be better show scissors in the picture.

2. Time to glue!


This is the way I recommend glueing your cover onto your notebook:

Before you glue on your cover, close the short, opened side of your folder with glue, leaving you with one long opened side, which will be on the top. (You can use the same method explained below.) Now you can glue on your cover!
First glue along the blue line, also in the direction the arrow is pointing. Keep adding a drop or short line of glue and then press onto that spot, to make sure it sticks well. (I recommend doing it like this, because otherwise,  if you glue one long line at once, the glue at the bottom will dry before you can press on the cover.) Then, using the same method, glue along the two green lines second and the pink line third. 
Now, do the same thing on the other side of your notebook!


Customize and Personalize!

For this step, I can't give any instructions: it's up to you!
I chose a cute, patterned piece of paper and cut it so that it would fit in my cover. I also cut some pictures from magazines and wrote the titel of my notebook on a little piece of paper shaped like a cloud. If there is some glue on the sides of your notebook sticking out, I recommend wrapping washi tape around the sides to cover up the glue.
Have fun customizing your notebook!


I hope you liked this DIY customizable cover! I used it to make a cover for my recipe notebook, in which I glue recipes that I've cut out of magazines and write recipes. I will be posting recipes, too, soon!

xox Mia

Have an elephantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment