Saturday, April 18, 2015

Salad in a jar



I love looking through cooking magazines. All those great recipes and delicious-looking photo's... Lovely. One Friday (or Saturday, I don't remember), I was looking in the new issue and there was this beautiful photo of something and it immediately caught my attention. But, wait, what? Salad, in a JAR? Yes, that's right. Keep reading to find out how to make this amazing to-go lunch!





The cooking magazine I found this in was the AllerHande magazine by the supermarket Albert Heijn. Their magazines are pretty awesome. The magazine had 4 salad recipes for in a jar, but all of them required a lot of ingredients, of which most of them I didn't have at home, so I decided to make my own salad. If you are interested in the other salads, though, you can find them here, here, here and here


Before we get started, I would like to mention that I'm certainly not a food expert, so the combination of the following ingredients is just a jumble of things I think are super yummy ;) and were already in my kitchen.

(You can prepare your salad in a jar a half a day ahead.)


Ingredients:
· a jar                        (± 750 ml)
· lettuce
· cherry tomatoes      (cut in halves or quarters)
· pan-fried chicken    (make sure it is cooled, so the salad won't get soggy)
· mozzarella
· dressing: dille-mustard
(There are no specific proportions. They are to your liking. :) )



Pour the dressing in the jar first. This way the salad will stay 'crispy' and not soggy. Then, start filling the jar with one ingredient at a time, so that you get a nice layered look. Put wet and heavy ingredients at the bottom and dry and light ingredients at the top. My order was (from bottom to top): dressing, lettuce, mozzarella, chicken and then tomatoes. Although lettuce is dry and light, I wanted to have it in the middle, because I thought it would make it easier to mix it all together later. Then grab a (plastic) fork, and if you like, tape it on with some cute washi tape.





Tadaa! All done. Bon appétit!


PS. When you eat your salad, start eating from the bottom so that all the ingredients will get mixed together better. 

Love,
            Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment